How does the special enrollment period work?
Special enrollment in California
- You qualify for a special enrollment period if you have a certain life event.
- You generally have 60 days from the date of your qualifying life event to enroll for health coverage or change your plan.
- In most cases, you need to have proof of your life event.
- In some cases, you have 60 days before and 60 days after your qualifying life event to apply for coverage or change your plan. Examples include:
- Loss of Coverage
- Child support order or other court order to cover a dependent
- Change in eligibility for employer health coverage
- Contract violation
- Determination by Covered CA
2 Choose the qualifying life event that best matches your situation:
Need Help? Simply call: 1-800-475-6621 (for TTY, call 711)