How does the special enrollment period work?
Special enrollment in California
- You qualify for a special enrollment period if you have a certain life event.
- You generally have 60 days from the date of your qualifying life event to enroll for health coverage or change your plan.
- In most cases, you need to have proof of your life event.
- In some cases, you have 60 days before and 60 days after your qualifying life event to apply for coverage or change your plan. Examples include:
- Loss of mininum essential health coverage
- Changes in employer health coverage making you eligible for a premium tax credit
- Determination by Covered California of exceptional circumstances
- You may have more than one event. Choose the one with the best plan effective date for you.
- You may qualify for additional state financial assistance even if you haven't qualified for federal financial assistance in prior years.
- There's a California state law that says you must have minimum essential health coverage, or you may have to pay a tax penalty.
2 Choose the qualifying life event that best matches your situation:
Need Help? Simply call: 1-800-475-6621 (TTY 711)